Senior Intellectual Property Counsel (Remote)
Senior Intellectual Property Counsel (Remote)
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Legal at Brex
The Legal and Compliance team helps the company grow responsibly, advocating for Brex and for the thousands of growing businesses we serve. We provide strategic advice and guidance to all Brex teams, protect Brex, advise on risk, and represent the company externally, negotiating with partners and interacting with regulators. Reimagining the financial system in a highly regulated environment requires creativity and resourcefulness, and we welcome the challenge.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Director, Associate General Counsel, Platform Risk, this role is responsible for creating and implementing strategies to develop and protect Brex’s innovations, intellectual property, and brand and drive value from them. You will do this in several ways, including partnering with engineers, innovators, and other business leaders to develop Brex’s patent and trademark portfolio consistent with Brex’s mission and business objectives, providing legal counsel on transactions, agreements and other IP-related matters, and defending Brex’s IP rights in litigation or other disputes. At times, you may also be called on to assist with non-IP related legal matters, depending on the needs of the Company and the Legal team.
- Work proactively with engineers, innovators, and others to identify, capture, and protect innovations, including reviewing invention disclosures and conducting inventor interviews to assess patentability and manage the patent prosecution process
- Oversee and manage outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, trademark applications, and other IP-related work
- Advise on and draft and negotiate agreements, including licenses, master service agreements, and other IP-related agreements
- Support domain and trademark prosecution and enforcement work and otherwise assist in protecting and developing Brex’s brand
- Conduct IP-related due diligence and contract drafting in support of M&A activity
- Counsel on the impact of IP-related issues on business operations and identify and implement initiatives, policies, and processes to effectively manage risk and protect Brex’s innovations and intellectual property
- Manage IP-related litigation and other disputes and oversee the work of outside counsel retained to assist with the same
- Advise on the use and licensing of open source software
- Educate and train internal business clients on a broad range of intellectual property, licensing, and related legal issues
- Budget and forecast IP-related legal spend
- Identify and monitor trends in the IP legal and regulatory landscape and consider their implications for Brex’s business
- Member in good standing of the bar of at least one U.S. state and registered to practice before the USPTO
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing IP attorney either in an in-house legal department or at a law firm, including experience with drafting and prosecuting U.S. patent applications, trademark prosecution, managing IP portfolios, developing and implementing IP protection strategies, and managing IP-related litigation or other disputes. Experience dealing with business process and software inventions is a plus
- Demonstrated experience and/or education in science or engineering, preferably computer science, electrical engineering, computer/software engineering, or mathematics
- Demonstrated working knowledge of patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and open source licensing issues
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously with a high degree of autonomy and keep track of and meet applicable deadlines
- Creative, problem-solving mindset with the ability to navigate a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Team player who can manage and collaborate with others effectively to drive meaningful results
- Excellent judgment, integrity, and the ability to think fast on your feet
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel occasionally to build relationships with internal clients and colleagues and/or support and oversee activities or proceedings in the matters you will manage