Assistant General Counsel, Employment (Remote)
Assistant General Counsel, Employment (Remote)
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Legal at Brex
The Legal and Compliance team helps the company grow responsibly, advocating for Brex and for the thousands of growing businesses we serve. We provide strategic advice and guidance to all Brex teams, protect Brex, advise on risk, and represent the company externally, negotiating with partners and interacting with regulators. Reimagining the financial system in a highly regulated environment requires creativity and resourcefulness, and we welcome the challenge.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Director, Associate General Counsel, Platform Risk, this role is responsible for providing legal advice to Brex’s People team, identifying and mitigating employment-related risks, managing employee or contractor disputes and litigation, and partnering with the People team to develop policies and practices governing Brex employees and contractors, among other responsibilities. At times, you may also be called on to assist with non-employment related legal matters, depending on the needs of the Company and the Legal team.
- Provide business-minded legal guidance and support to Brex’s People team on a wide range of employment issues including but not limited to People team practices, performance management, terminations, recruiting, hiring, labor relations, leaves of absence, employee accommodations, compensation and benefits, and wage and hour matters
- Partner with Brex’s People team to develop and implement policies and practices governing Brex employees and contractors
- Manage employment-related complaints, disputes, litigation, investigations, and responses to regulatory inquiries and charges (e.g. EEOC charges)
- Effectively and cost-efficiently manage outside legal counsel retained to assist Brex, ensuring that their work drives value for Brex and that their work and invoices conform to Brex’s legal vendor requirements
- Identify employment- and contractor-related risks and develop and implement solutions for managing and mitigating them
- Provide legal support and guidance on immigration-related issues impacting Brex employees and contractors
- Analyze and ensure compliance with the employment-related laws that apply in the locations where Brex employees and contractors work, including throughout the United States and abroad, and monitor employment law trends and developments and consider their impact on Brex
- Develop and deliver training to managers and employees
- Budget and forecast employment-related legal spend
- Manage responses to employee- or contractor-related subpoenas and other information or legal requests and orders
- Member in good standing of the bar of at least one U.S. state
- 7+ years of experience at a leading law firm and/or corporate legal department counseling on employment legal issues and managing employment-related litigation; prior in-house or seconded experience is preferred, but not required
- Prior experience analyzing and providing advice in relation to compliance with federal and state wage and hour laws; experience analyzing issues under the California Labor Code and/or employment-related legal requirements in jurisdictions outside the U.S. is a plus
- Strong preference for candidates with experience advising in relation to immigration law issues
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously with a high degree of autonomy and keep track of and meet applicable deadlines
- Creative, problem-solving mindset with the ability to navigate a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Team player who can manage and collaborate with others effectively to drive meaningful results
- Excellent judgment, integrity, and the ability to think fast on your feet
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel occasionally to build relationships with internal clients and colleagues and/or support and oversee activities or proceedings in the matters you will manage