Counsel, Regulatory (Remote)
Counsel, Regulatory (Remote)
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Legal and Compliance at Brex
The Legal team helps the company grow responsibility, advocating for Brex and for the thousands of growing businesses we serve. We provide strategic advice and guidance to all Brex teams, protect Brex, advise on risk, and represent the company externally, negotiating with partners and interacting with regulators. Reimagining the financial system in a highly regulated environment requires creativity and resourcefulness, and we welcome the challenge.
What you'll do
As Regulatory Counsel, you will help accelerate our growth by supporting existing products, expanding our product offerings and moving into new markets. This is a unique opportunity to help guide product direction, participate in defining company strategy, and build for scale at a high-growth company. You should be adaptable, flexible, and process-oriented with a strong product focus and a bias toward clear, actionable legal advice. Experience in financial services regulation and with technology companies is strongly preferred. We are a customer-focused legal team that partners closely with colleagues on technology and business teams. We operate with exceptional judgment and integrity, have the ability to handle complex matters independently, and thrive in a dynamic, high-growth environment. We take a product-minded approach to lawyering.
- Manage legal oversight of and provide pragmatic, tactical and actionable regulatory and compliance advice for new and existing products, from scoping and design to go-to-market strategy, partnerships, and ongoing support
- Represent Brex with financial partners and regulators
- Work closely with compliance, engineering and business teams to identify opportunities to innovate while ensuring regulatory compliance
- Determine licensing requirements and manage license applications for new products
- Draft policies and oversee implementation of procedures
- Stay up to date on developments in the financial services industry, including regulatory and business changes that may affect Brex’s products
- Ad-hoc projects as needed
- 5+ years working in a combination of technology and traditional financial services companies, or in a financial regulatory practice at a law firm
- Deep substantive knowledge of BSA, KYC/AML, OFAC, MSBs, licensing and related compliance matters, and experience writing and implement policies related to these areas of the law
- Experience in at least one of the following: banking, payments, lending, or other financial products
- Experience getting up to speed quickly on new areas of regulation and technology
- Experience interacting with federal and state regulatory agencies and navigating supervisory audits or examinations
- Ability to give practical, actionable advice on legal and regulatory risks and build out internal controls for new products
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and turn work around quickly when needed
- Excitement for Brex’s mission and passion for fintech
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Acute business sense and comfort with technology
- Growth mindset
- Curiosity, drive, and willingness to take ownership and drive projects to completion
- JD and admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction
- Prior fintech startup experience
- Familiarity with card network rules and experience interacting with card networks
- Experience launching products in a fintech or traditional financial services environment