Assistant General Counsel, Card
Assistant General Counsel, Card
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Legal and Compliance at Brex
The Legal team helps the company grow responsibility, advocating for Brex and for the thousands of growing businesses we serve. We provide strategic advice and guidance to all Brex teams, protect Brex, advise on risk, and represent the company externally, negotiating with partners and interacting with regulators. Reimagining the financial system in a highly regulated environment requires creativity and resourcefulness, and we welcome the challenge.
What you'll do
As Assistant General Counsel, you will advise on legal requirements through the product development life cycle. You’ll counsel our product, engineering, marketing, sales, partnerships, and support teams on a range of issues related to product development and the products you support. You’ll provide strategic advice on risk and regulatory ambiguity, collaborating with stakeholders to find creative solutions to business issues.
- Provide pragmatic, actionable advice on regulatory requirements for both existing and new products
- Structure, draft, and negotiate agreements with financial institutions and other partnership and commercial agreements to support our products and services
- Draft customer agreements and terms, and work closely with teams across the company to identify and resolve issues relating to the products you support
- Advise on product and marketing collateral, marketing claims, customer communications, and disclosures
- Provide guidance on strategic decisions and risk including product structuring and implementation
- Manage license applications for new products as needed
- Stay up-to-date on relevant regulations and industry practices
- 8+ years working experience in a combination of law firms and technology or traditional financial services companies
- Experience in payments, lending, securities products, or other financial products
- Familiarity with laws and regulations applicable to fintech products and services, including UDAP, ECOA, TILA, FCRA, and other federal and state law, and familiarity with card network rules
- Experience interacting with card networks and issuing banks
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and turn work around quickly when needed
- Business sense and comfort with technology
- Curiosity, drive, and willingness to take ownership and drive projects to completion
- JD and admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction
- Prior startup experience
- Experience interacting with federal or state regulatory agencies and regulated financial institution partners
- Experience launching products in a fintech environment