Engineering Manager, Developer Experience
Engineering Manager, Developer Experience
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Engineering at Brex
The Engineering team includes Data, IT, Security, and Software, and is responsible for building innovative products and infrastructure for Brex and our customers. We believe that engineers should accelerate the business through technology, and collaborate across multiple teams to accomplish that.
Teams are autonomous, value inclusivity, eager to learn, teach, and constantly improve how things work. The software we build today is the foundation for dozens of Brex systems in the future, so engineers have a strong sense of ownership and accountability and take pride in their craft.
What you’ll do
The Developer Experience group ensures developers have the right tools, processes, and environment to maximize productivity, accelerate delivery, and create the greatest business value possible. We take an entrepreneurial approach to the problem at large and work as partners with our internal developer customer base to identify and solve the problems they are most affected by.
As an Engineering Manager at Brex, you will lead & support incredible teams to shape the future of our products and company. We’re looking for a servant leader who values growing the people on their teams alongside a strong desire to develop collaborative & effective organizations.
- Set the direction for the Developer Experience Group, share context by elaborating the “why”, and drive execution of projects while setting clear expectations.
- Guide teams to build and deliver high-quality products at scale against tight timelines while encouraging creativity.
- Inspire a collaborative culture and uphold Brex’s values alongside high engineering standards to bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes.
- Collaborate with leadership within Developer Experience including Engineering Managers, the Group Tech Lead, and the DevEx Technical Program Manager to identify and act on opportunities for improvement within the group
- Work with stakeholders from outside the group (external EMs, PMs, and engineers) to understand and synthesize customer needs and future opportunities
- Provide mentorship and career-building opportunities for the Tech Lead, and TPM that report to you
- 3+ years of experience in an engineering leadership role managing individuals on teams
- Experience with a backend programming language. EMs aren’t expected to contribute code but are expected to review and guide technical decisions
- Experience leading/managing cross-team and multi-quarter projects
- Strong and effective communication ability to convey complex ideas in a simple manner, apply active listening when working with others, and drive teams to resolutions during discussions.
- Strong track record of delivery and impact. You set challenging OKRs for your team, put the right structure in place to deliver, and measure success along the way
- A proven track record of building cultures that encourage ambition and foster empathy.
- Experience and excitement about building internal tooling to create a strong impact on the rest of the engineering organization
- You are a champion for the customer and constantly put yourself in the shoes of your users, and strive to create an intuitive and delightful experience.
- You have high engineering standards and drive yourself & your teams to bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, processes, and more.
- Previous experience having founded a venture or were a foundational member of an early-stage start-up. We value entrepreneurial spirit & scrappiness!