Software Engineer, Storage (Remote)
Software Engineer, Storage (Remote)
Why join us
Brex is reimagining financial systems so every growing company can realize their full potential. As the financial OS, we’re building software and services in one place—disrupting long-entrenched institutions with products and experiences that better serve the ambitions of our customers.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Engineering at Brex
The Engineering team includes Data, IT, Security, and Software, and is responsible for building innovative products and infrastructure for Brex and our customers. We believe that engineers should accelerate the business through technology, and collaborate across multiple teams to accomplish that. Teams are autonomous, filled with inclusive individuals, eager to learn, teach, constantly improve how things work. The software we build today is the foundation for dozens of Brex systems in the future, so engineers have a strong sense of ownership and accountability and take pride in their craft.
What you’ll do
Whether you’re in technology, finance, or retail, data is the lifeblood of your business. Brex’s Data Storage team works holistically across the organization to make sure that we maintain rigorous standards of our data. As a Data Storage Engineer, you will address all aspects of database administration, architecture, design, maintenance and troubleshooting. This will require a deep understanding of how data is used in applications, familiarity with the landscape of technology for data storage, and a penchant for automated solutions.
This role combines the skills of software engineering, database administration, and DevOps
- Work within and across product engineering teams to determine requirements and challenges to managing their data stores
- Work with the infrastructure team to ensure secure and cost-effective operation of our data storage resources
- Leverage your expertise in databases along with your skills as a developer to write systems that mitigate or surface metrics around database problems
- Mentor database users on good modeling techniques and query practices on as-needed-basis.
- Perform or advise tactical solutions to challenges while maintaining service reliability
- Be part of an On-Call rotation for responding to database related incidents
- Set and maintain the standard for database performance excellence at Brex, through tooling and documentation
- Disseminate knowledge and help coworkers contextualize their data needs
- Continually adapt and respond to a wide variety of developers needs and use cases
- You have significant experience in database modeling, operation, and administration with common open-source technologies such as PostgreSQL and Redis
- Experience with other database systems such as document databases, key-value stores, columnar databases, and message queues is a plus
- Significant experience in systems software development, preferably in DevOps
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Possess the above traits;
- Have an interest adjacent to issues such as compliance, confidentiality, and security.
- Be capable of discussing thorny issues of concurrency and correctness